The Emerson Cavitation Tunnel was originally installed in the School of Marine Science and Technology in 1949 and enetered service in 1950-51. The tunnel was completely modernised in 1980 and was further equipped with modern flow measurement systems in 2000. An enhanced measuring section with higher speed capability and matching control systems was installed during 2007.
The Emerson Cavitation Tunnel provides an efficient service to the marine sector, including ship owners, shipyards and propeller manufacturers. As well as the commercial consultancy services, the Emerson Cavitation Tunnel, which is the only cavitation tunnel in the UK, offers background research and development services to academia for cavitation, noise, propulsion, turbines, coatings and hydrodynamics related activities. the tunnel maintains its own scientific and technical staff, with comprehensive mechanical, electrical, electronic and model making technician support from within the School of Marine Science and Technology.